Saturday, February 2, 2008

I guess it could have been worse!!




Well we sure have had our fill of hospitals the last week. A week ago Thursday (January 24th) Austin had his hernia surgery. He did so well. We went up to Primary Children's Hospital for the procedure. It is such a wonderful place. We did the pre surgery class which was not only great for Austin, but great for mom and dad. We knew every step that was going to happen. They were running behind 2 hours on the day of surgery, but Austin was very patient and they had about 4 different nintendo machines. So he wore his robe that his grandma gave him for Christmas (which was wonderful because he did not like that the back of the pjs the hospital gives was open) and he just played nintendo til it was his turn. As we sat there and heard other's reasons for their surgerys we were so thankful that ours was just a hernia. Austin (and our family) has such wonderful friends. They brought him get well gifts and that was about the only thing that put a smile on his face those first couple of days. By Monday he was feeling great, so great that by thursday I wrote a note for him to sit out of P.E. and he fessed up that he crumbled it up because he felt fine and he loves P.E.


So last night (friday, feb 1) Kate, Zach and I were sitting on my bed watching tv. Well Kate decides it is pillow fight time. She threw a couple at us and then turned around for another one and lost her balance and off the bed she went. Head first. I knew immediatly something was wrong. Our bed is very high--I have a hard time getting on it. Any way I a ran around the bed to see how she was and I looked at her arms and sure enough her right arm looked very different then the left. It had a sway in it. I called Brent he was on his way home from work. I knew she had broken it. So sat on the floor with her crying in pain and Zach crying because he can not stand if I hold Kate on my lap. Momma's boy. We rushed her to the emergency room--we don't do well in a panic--no shoes, socks or coats for any of the kids. I had to at least change my pants because I had sat on a blueberry muffin earlier that day--I did not want to look that white trash, even though I did because I had Zach's snot on my shoulder and did not dry my hair ealier and my brows and lip need a major wax and I had nomake up on--I was looking good. So as soon as they saw her arm thay knew that it was broken. Every new person that came in to the room said Kate what happened? You think great they probably think I did it.--I promise I didn't. So she was so brave she really did not cry after we got to the hospital. I felt so bad though, a couple of times she just looked at us with these big sad eyes and said "Are they going to take my arm off?" I guess at that age they fi gure it's broken so I guess you have to get rid of it. She was so cute. She was so happy they gave her a doll and that really made her smile. So we will see the orthopedic this week and she will probably have the cast on for 4 to6 weeks. But like I have titled this I guess the past week could have been a lot worse. Brent and I just kept saying to each other that we are so thankful for our healthy kids.

No comments: